Niles North evacuated after bomb threat

Bella Levavi, News Editor

Wednesday, Feb. 21, Niles North was evacuated after a bomb threat was called into the Skokie Police station.

The Skokie Police said on Twitter at 2:48, “All students and faculty are safe.”

At the end of eighth period, a hold in place was enacted in the school.

A hold in place is when classes are locked and students are not allowed to leave the room, but unlike a lockdown, classes can commence while things are being investigated.

“We understand that this situation will cause great anxiety for families,” Principal Edwards said. “Please know that our first priority is to keep your children and staff safe. We will share additional information as we are able.”

Niles West High school students were stuck in their classes as Niles North students filed into their field house. Niles West students were released from school 45 minutes later than usual.

There was immense traffic build up as parents tried to pick up their children from Niles West High School.

This is the second bomb threat to Niles North in two weeks. Last week there was a lockdown then hold in place as police investigated the bomb.

Students are questioning the safety of Niles North High School. On social media such as Facebook, Snapchat, and Twitter, there have been conversations about protesting the lack of safety measures taken at the school.

There has been a dramatic increase in school shootings in 2018. There have been 8 shooting in 2018 alone.  Many could not help but think about the mass shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland Florida as they were locked in their classes during the hold in place.

Niles North is now working on a program to educate the school community about the different types of lockdowns. The Skokie Police are currently investigating the bomb threat.

Featured image from ABC7 Chicago