Vikings revealed: Humans of Niles North released

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jeffrey Garcia

Jeffrey Garcia

Jeffrey Garcia

There are 2,127 students here at Niles North every day. 2,127 individuals reporting to class every period. 2,127 people with their own unique stories to tell and talents to share. There are so many of us, it’s nearly impossible to get to know each of them. That’s where Humans of Niles North comes in. This magazine-like publication, created and produced by the yearbook production, SAGA, endeavors to capture some of those stories and share these Viking snapshots with the rest of us.

“It’s about the people we never get to see or hear,” SAGA member Jacob Rosenberg said. “This was more of a human, in-depth look at….people as themselves.” 34 people, students and faculty, will appear in the magazine. “Every two or three weeks we’d be assigned….to go out and interview someone. We could choose (who to interview). There wasn’t, like, specific people.” The SAGA reporters would ask their friends and classmates, trying to get the best picture of the Niles North student body they could.

“We wanna get everyone’s diverse perspective,” Rosenberg continued. “It’s about the people we never get to see or hear.” The SAGA reporters would spend months interviewing their friends and classmates, trying to get the best picture of the Niles North student body they could. The narratives are paired with a picture and a lift-out quote.

“t was a big effort from all staff members to really reach out to students that could tell their own story. It was a collective effort that occurred all through out first semester,” Lena Folke, SAGA member, commented. The group had been working on the magazine for the entire semester. “I feel really good about how it came together. I think it’s such a unique thing because it allows us to learn more about people in our community.” Faculty members were interviewed along with students.

“There is nothing more powerful than hearing the stories of individuals who you may have thought were so different from you and realizing that there are more commonalities than you had initially thought,” Renee Scott, yearbook sponsor, said. “We have such a rich variety of cultures, and experiences, many of which, sadly, go unshared. We wanted to create a space for those voices to be heard.” You might see your friends featured in this magazine. You might recognize people from a class, or maybe just from passing period. You will definitely hear unique stories from fellow Vikings you’ve never talked to before.

“Empathy is the enemy of alienation. If we can begin to hear an understand the stories of others, we can begin to bridge these perceived differences,” Scott added. The aim of the publication  is to build up the community we already have here. It allows us to get to know people we ordinarily wouldn’t have the chance to. It’s an easy way of finding people you can identify with.

The magazine is available now for $5 a copy in room 1500. There are only about 150 copies left, so get yours soon; once they run out, you can still order one, but the price will go up to $7. The magazine will also be sold at a Humans of Niles North Launch Party which will be held on Feb. 22 after school in the Commons. Admission is free, and several other clubs, including SOAR, GSA, Fem Club, and Immigrants’ Rights Club.