The ABCs of BAC

Gustavo Morales

The main purpose of the BAC is to create discipline and act as a consequence for students in order to avoid trouble in the future and having them come back frequently. The Behavioral Adjustment Center (BAC) is a disciplinary consequence issued to students, where students are kept in school instead of suspending them and having them stay out of school. Students are given the opportunity to catch up on any work in class with the access of teachers and other help in the school. 

However, there has been a lot discussion. In order to get an opinion about this, it was best to go directly to one of the teachers that is in charge of BACs, Mr. Park. He says, “For some students who are repeatedly in BAC, they treat it like a day off. They refuse to do work, they go to sleep, and they just do whatever they want. There’s only so much you as a teacher could do, in terms of getting them to do work. ” The problem is that some students don’t take it as seriously as others do, so they don’t learn how to make up for their mistakes. Without any sort of compliance, it is hard for the teacher to reach out to the student and help them.

After interviewing Dean Brown, BAC is much more efficient than the alternative. He says, “If we remove BAC and you do something, like, slap a kid in the face, throw a chair across the room, or steal something. If we didn’t have BAC, we’d have to suspend every single one of those students. At the very least, we keep them in school, they’re not out of school”.  Without it, the deans in our school would have to suspend the students no matter how grave the issue. This would be unfair if two students were both suspended even though one of them may have done something less severe than the other.

The point of having an in school suspension is to keep the students in line and remind them that their consequences could be worse. In fact, according to the school-to-prison pipeline, if a student is suspended two or more times, they are more likely to end up in a prison system. This teaches students the mentality that, in the real world, there isn’t going to be any sort of warning. So, it’s important for the school to help students avoid trouble now in order for them to avoid it later on in the future as well.

Mr. Park believes that having some sort of restorative justice such as community service could go a long way, but there are also many other problems that come with that, like, if a student were to get hurt, it would be under the school’s responsibility. Admittedly, there are a few things that students and deans both believe need to be added to the BAC system to enforce its purpose and illustrate that they shouldn’t nor have to make bad choices, but in the end, it is in the control of the student and how they choose to take that message. In my opinion, having a BAC is much better and it gives students the option to think about their decisions and where it could take them or if they are willing to deal with those consequences, if there are any.