The Last Pizza Wars: A stunning success

On Thursday, Jan. 19, Pizza Wars 7 took place in the Niles North gymnasium. Proceeds from the night went to the Education Foundation, which benefits students in the district who require financial assistance. The event featured Jet’s, Lou Malnati’s, Organic Life, Pie Five, Piero’s, Village Inn, and Wa-Pa-Ghetti’s Pizza, with desserts provided by Nothing Bundt Cakes.

This year, Lou Malnati’s Pizza was crowned victorious for best deep dish pizza, while Village Inn Pizzeria was awarded best thin crust pizza. “We were honored to be awarded as [the] winner of Pizza Wars 7 – Thin Crust Pizza category last night! Thank you for voting for the Village Inn!” the pizza place posted on social media.

Although Lou Malnati’s and Village Inn won on Thursday, the shining achievement of Pizza Wars, as always, is the significant amount of money that was raised for the Education Foundation, which provides tools to help the less fortunate get a better education. The amount has not been determined yet, but Pizza Wars usually raises anywhere $15000 to $20000, all going to benefit students in the community.

“I think it went really well, and a ton of people showed up,” Tahlia Altgold, a student representative for the Education Foundation said.

A highlight of Pizza Wars is the community aspect, as hundreds around the Skokie and Niles area come together to enjoy pizza. As of now, this will be the final Pizza Wars, and individuals definitely have showed their appreciation for the annual festivities.

“I think it was a great event, and I’m sad to see it go. It was definitely for a great cause and there were a lot of fantastic pizza vendors there,” Dhvani Shah, senior, said.

While Pizza Wars may be coming to a close, the Education Foundation will continue to raise money for students in need. To contribute, click here.

Featured image by Eric P. Davis of the Chicago Tribune