The pursuit of a new principal persists

As Ryan McTague announced his departure from Niles North High School late January, the search process for a new principal is underway and students and parents across the district are making themselves involved.

McTague, after six years as principal, has resigned. He will continue his career in high school administration as the Superintendent of McHenry School District. McTague has had an innumerable impact on the Niles North community, and the phrase “we are one” will undoubtedly resonate for years to come.

The last year has been slightly tumultuous regarding the administration of our district; there is much uncertainty, and neither the principal nor superintendent is known for the upcoming school year. This uncertainty has definitely caused some apprehension within the school.

However, the arduous process for choosing a new principal is urgent and underway. Last week, student government members met with members of a search firm, BWP & Associates, in a focus group and discussed the traits and qualifications our future principal should have. There was also a focus group for teachers to have the same discussion.

The firm announced that there are both candidates from the district and outside the district. Beyond that, though, not much is known regarding who the candidates are and there is definitely no word on who the future principal will be yet.

The debate over what kind of principal the Niles North community deserves has definitely begun, and there are concrete qualities that almost everyone can agree upon.

“I want someone who has an open line of communication with all his students, and is enthusiastic and always energetic. He or she should also be someone who is friendly with students and knows them not as a group but by individual names,” Dhvani Shah, a current junior involved with student government, said regarding the principal search.

Other students voiced similar opinions on the principal search.

“We’re really looking for someone who can be not only an authority figure but another father-figure in the sense that he really cares about each and every student. If we could replicate Dr. McTague, we would,” Yousuf Quraishi, junior, said.

Regardless of what individuals think will make a high quality principal, it is of the utmost importance that students and faculty are highly involved in the decision process. Many students attending Niles North High School are not currently old enough to vote in state and national elections, and a perfect way to exercise their voices in a way that will potentially make a large difference is through the ongoing process of picking a future principal.

We as students are constantly berated with the importance of political activeness in our daily lives. At times it can get frustrating, but that does not make the task any less paramount to the future of Niles North. A momentous decision is currently underway, and that decision will not be finalized until at least in May when school comes to a close.

There is much time and deliberation left to be done, and it is up to the students and staff of Niles North to make some of those decisions. Although we are not directly in the group deciding the new principal, our ideas will undoubtedly have an impact, but what kind of impact that shall be is left to be determined based on the actions of our community.