District 219 proudly hosts annual college fair

Calling all freshmen, sophomores, and juniors- District 219 will be hosting their annual College Fair on Wednesday, April 13 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Niles West High School, 5701 Oakton Street, Skokie. Admission representatives from more than 230 colleges and universities from all over the United States and five countries will be attending this year’s fair.

For underclassmen, attending college fairs can be an intimidating experience in their lives as they face tough decisions and are being handed hundreds of options. This serves as a pivotal moment for students who are approaching the college admissions process and the paths of where life takes them beyond high school.

“During my freshman and sophomore year, I embraced the experience of going to college fairs. Going to a college fair helps pave the way for students who are in the college process and are in need of guidance in preparing for the future,” Franzel Siron, senior, said.

Students may ask themselves a series of daunting questions regarding the future and leave themselves in frustration and anxiety. However, students completely overlook the excitement and curiosity of college fairs. Approaching college fairs requires organized planning and the following steps in order to ensure students a fun-filled and informed college fair experience:

1. Preparation is key
Do some research about the schools that are attending the college fair. Educate yourself about the school’s basic background: campus size, majors offered, location, etc. This will help make a good impression towards college admission officers, and also help prepare a list of questions you may want to ask.

Decide the outfit you are going to wear at the college fair. Treat the fair as if you’re going in for an interview, so do not show up in tattered jeans and a dirty shirt. As many say, first impressions are important.

Set up a college email account that’s restricted to only college-related connections. This will show a positive impression and keep your emails organized and separated.

Create self-made business cards to hand out to the college admission representatives of your choice. Include your name, email address, mailing address, graduating year and the intended area of study.

2. Map out a strategy
Being at a college fair can be overwhelming due to the hundreds of colleges swarmed throughout the school. When you’re at the fair, make sure you take a handout of the map and layout your route for the day. Don’t waste your time with schools that don’t particularly interest you!

3. Take notes and ask questions
As you’re visiting each table, take notes of all the information that the college admissions counselor discusses. The notes you take will pave the way in your decision making for which college to attend, along with a follow-up contact with the admissions counselor of that specific college. Most importantly, don’t be afraid to ask questions! This is your chance to have a one-on-one discussion with the counselor and ask questions that may be beyond what is found on the college’s website. Many fairs hold information sessions where parents and students can ask questions regarding applications, search processes, financial aids, etc.

4. Follow-up with College Fair information
After attending a two-hour college fair, students are jumbled up with loads of information and college pamphlets that you may ask yourself: “Where do I even begin?” Spend some time organizing and gathering written notes, business cards, and college pamphlets that you’ve collected. Out of the list of schools you’ve enjoyed, email the admissions director and counselors for further questions and information regarding that school.

College fairs serves as a special opportunity for students to create connections and build on their knowledge as they move further into the college selection process. It’s highly recommended that students take this opportunity to explore their options, but most importantly, have fun!