On or off campus?

Off-campus lunch is a great privilege granted to eligible juniors and seniors. However, it can have it’s ups and downs. If you’re thinking about signing up for off-campus lunch this semester, remember to consider the following pros and cons of having off campus.

To be eligible for off-campus lunch, you must be a junior or senior who did not receive any D’s the previous semester. Off-campus lunch can be revoked by your dean and parent or guardian.

Cons

Time management is important when it comes to off-campus lunch. Some people have a free period after their lunch, but can’t use it as part of their lunch time for off-campus.

“I wish I had more time for lunch,” said Gaul. “I have lunch followed by study hall sometimes and I wish I could go during both periods without needing to be called out.”

Also, timing is essential depending on your mode of transportation. If you drive to school, you have more lunch options, as well as better timing, compared to those who don’t drive and are limited to the restaurants in the mall.

“Unless I have my car at school, the 42 minute period limits me to the fast restaurants at the mall,” said Schmelzer. “Sometimes I’m concerned about the time it take for me to get back to school, but it’s usually fine.”

Pros

Many students have complained about the quality of the lunches provided in the cafeteria. Thanks to off campus lunch, you are no longer restricted to having the options of either cafeteria food or bringing your own lunch.

“I only have a free period twice a week,” Geoffrey Schmelzer, junior, said. “So it’s nice to be able to have a restaurant lunch on those days. It’s a great change of setting from the normal school day.”

Off-campus lunch also grants you more freedom and variety with lunch options. Fortunately, the mall is across the street, which is incredibly convenient; there’s a wide range of inexpensive lunch options within the mall.

“I like the freedom of being able to leave,” said Nora Gaul, senior. “The school day is long, especially when you’re involved with so many extracurricular activities. It’s a nice way to leave during the school day for a break.”

The nice thing about off-campus lunch is that it’s optional. Just because you have off campus lunch, doesn’t mean you are obligated to make use of it all the time! The best times to take advantage of off-campus lunch are if/when you forget your lunch (if you bring lunch) and if/when you are craving food that isn’t provided in the cafeteria or in the vending machines. Don’t use your off-campus lunch privilege if you don’t need to.

Off-campus lunch is also a good opportunity to run some errands. If you need to get some quick shopping done, Off-campus lunchtime is a convenient time to do so.

Overall, the best decision is to sign up for off-campus lunch. It’s convenient, it’s available (to those who qualify), and it’s free to sign up!

The last day to sign up is Tuesday, February 9. Ask your homeroom teacher or dean for more information about off-campus lunch.

Top Image: Samantha McNelis, reporter