Carpe diem: Get your high school bucket list filled

High school – loathable and lovable – marks an odd, transitory time. Time simultaneously passes quickly and lags. While it is easy to lose yourself in high school, it may be helpful to seize the day by creating your own short-term bucket list.

Bucket lists are meant to contain experiences you attain after a long lifetime. Like any big assignment, if you push your bucket list off, it may be difficult or impossible to fulfill it later on.

Several mini bucket lists throughout your life can help you treasure the present while it is still here.

The design of a high school bucket list should capture experiences specific to new opportunities this period of time presents to your life as well as meaningful, personal goals.

Responsibility and freedom are incrementally offered as each age passes more so during high school than during any other period in your life. By building anticipation to utilize each opportunity, you can savor quintessential experiences of that age.

At 15, you can get your permit.

At 16, you can get your license or get a job.

At 17, you can watch an R-rated movie in theatres or attend a 17+ concert.

At 18, you can vote, buy a Powerball ticket, sign-off to participate in a scientific study.

Personally, I had my first paid-job at 14, got my license at 17, and did not see an R-rated movie (without a parent or older friend to get me in) until I happened to already be 18.

“I really wanted to get my license the week I turned 16,” junior Josh Schoenberg said.

When I was 16, I could not care less about getting my license. Now, I cannot imagine my life without it.

In fact, many of my additions to my own bucket list – summer road trip, roller skating at Orbit, attending Electric Forest – are only possible because I have my license tucked away in my back pocket.

“I couldn’t wait until I was 18 to apply to more jobs. [I wanted…] to be more independent,” senior Saron Makonnen said.

Ultimately, each path within this era as teenagers is unique and should be tailored to your values, needs, and interests.

As you craft your high school bucket list, reflect upon your interests and make it a goal to pursue the ones that matter the most to you.

“[I want to] join the swim team,” freshman Hena Carkadzic said.

Within that interest, create an aspiration to strive to achieve before your high school career comes to a close.

“I always wanted to score a three pointer during a basketball game,” senior Elizabeth Akinboboye said.

Your high school bucket list can also incorporate broader goals as well.

“[I want to] excel academically and socially since I’m not usually the extremely outgoing type,” freshman Sam Mwakasisi said.

I would also encourage you to use your time in high school to tackle items that are on your life-long bucket list.

If it is a life-long dream to become fluent in a language, why wait until you have the time to put in the effort? Life is hectic, and if you wait until you feel you have the time, you will never become fluent.

For an item that is difficult to complete while in high school, you may still be able to work towards it.

As a freshman, I was sure that I wanted to be a published author and write for a living. Since it would be trying to simultaneously manage my schoolwork as well as my dream job, I made it an item on my high school bucket list to regularly journal and write in a non-academic environment.

Today, I still write the occasional screenplay or poem. However, the majority of my bucket list has changed as I have changed. While I did not and likely will not complete every item on my initial high school bucket list, the list pushed me to reflect and expand my comfort zone, gifting me with both rewarding achievements and memories.