Chicago Cubs can’t escape the ‘curse’

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chicago Cubs can’t escape the ‘curse’

Justin Im

Sadly this season, the Chicago Cubs were swept away from the World Series by the New York Mets.  It was a tough loss for the Cubs, but they went farther than anyone’s expectations especially since they were a young team. This was the farthest the Cubs have ever gotten in the playoffs since their last appearance in 2008. What a lot of people don’t know is that the Cubs are cursed.

In 1945 William “Billy Goat” Sianis was was trying to bring in his goat Murphy into game 4 of the world series. At the time there was no law that prohibited Sianis from bringing his goat, but people started to complain about the smell. The owner of the cubs asked Sianis to remove himself and his goat.

“My whole family cried thinking it was all because of that damn billy goat,” said Sam Manaloto, senior

The year 1969 was the greatest ensemble of Cubs player through trades and drafts. Players were Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Fergie Jenkins, and Billy Williams. The Cubs were leading 9 1/2 games ahead of the Mets and it seemed like nothing were stopping the Cubs from returning to the world series. However a black cat came unto the field on Sep. 9, 1969 and circled around Santo. The black cat quickly disappeared under the bleachers and was never seen again.

On Oct. 14, 2003, when the cubs were playing a playoff game against the Florida Mariners, a man named Steve Bartman attempted to catch a foul ball that left fielder Moises Alou was catching. Bartman had demoralized the Cubs and prevented them from advancing to the World Series.

“The Cubs ain’t gonna win no more. The Cubs will never win a World Series so long as the goat is not allowed in Wrigley Field,” Sianis said.

There has been a lot of bad luck, or superstitions when it comes to the Cubs for the past 145 years but this year seemed to be different. This was the year that many Cubs fans weren’t expecting, no one could have imagined that this young team would go to the playoffs. This team went farther than anyones expectations and next year is when they’ll hopefully be prepared to head to the World Series.

Good Luck Cubs! Maybe you should let in a goat as a precautionary and as a way to break the curse?