Fantasy’s gettin’ real

Justin Im

The National Football League (N.F.L) has officially started. While everyone is ready buying their favorite team’s gear and food that will last the whole season, individuals are getting ready for an intense game of fantasy football. What is fantasy football? Its a game that requires considerable amount of knowledge towards football and it a forms a brotherhood between men who want to have fun.

Fantasy football started out as a simple idea in the summer of 1962 between three men, Wilfred “Bill” Winkenbach, Scotty Stirling, and George Ross. Out of these three founding fathers Winkenbach contributed most to the game we know today.

“I love playing fantasy with my family, it brings us all together especially during Sunday nights,” Ada Torres, senior said.

The rules may have been tweaked to accommodate for our society today but the rules are still the same. You are a sports team owner and it is your job to draft a team that will win you the championship. However it’s not easy to draft all the best available players, you must know the game.

Each week, you enter a starting lineup made up of the following players: one quarterback, two running backs, two wide receivers, one flex position (can be an RB, WR, or TE), one tight end, one kicker, and one defense/special teams (punt and kickoff return) unit.

You draft an entire team’s defense and special teams. If your team’s defense or special teams unit scores a touchdown, records a safety, or performs various defensive feats like an interception, a fumble recovery or records a sack you get points.

Depending on how well you do during the season you will be placed and usually the last person or the last two depending on how big your league is will not be able to go to the playoffs. From the playoffs it’s a elimination round until two teams are left. After that it’s the championship.

“I feel like it’s an interesting experience, on the other hand your a bit of the underdog because you don’t have a lot of experience.  You can also get into a lot of tight spots with trades. Since you don’t know much about the players, however its worth it because its fun,” senior Andrey Poloz, said.

Even if your new you can still play. Just go grab a group of friends and draft your team, good luck!

Top Image: Kate Aanerude, Feature editor