Breaking news: Student email addresses to change

Effective on June 1, 2015, District 219 student email addresses will change from an @nths219.org domain to @nilesk12.org.

This initiative by the district will allow students to receive a Google Apps account in elementary school, which they will use all the way up until the end of high school. Students will become more familiar with Google Apps and create a portfolio that will stay with them over the course of twelve years.

With these changes come some student concerns about receiving emails from their @nths219.org mail and also the fate of accounts that they have signed up with using that email.

Guy Ballard, Chief Technology Officer, addressed these concerns stating, “Emails sent to the @nths219.org accounts will be automatically forwarded to the new domain. Students will not need to worry about that.”

In addition, he noted that if students signed up for various accounts, they should be prepared to change the email with the account to the @nilesk12.org email.

For seniors, the procedure will remain the same as it has in the past. The domain of the email will change, however, senior accounts will remain available for one year so that anything they need can be backed up or transferred by other means.