Five tips to surviving freshman year

Five+tips+to+surviving+freshman+year+

We all know what it’s like to be a freshman. You forget your locker combination, walk into the wrong classes, everyone’s bigger than you, and you carry all the school supplies you’ve ever owned in your backpack. It’s possibly one of the most stressful and most terrifying year that you’ll ever endure here at Niles North. With these helpful tips, you’ll not only survive, but you’ll dominate your freshman year!

Tip #1: Be Social! Make new friends! Yes, it’s safer to stick with the people you already know, but one of the great things about being a freshman is meeting so many new teachers and students. Who knows? You might meet your new best friend or even your high school sweetheart. Also, if you’re ever lost in the halls, don’t be afraid to ask security, a teacher, or even an older student! Everyone’s always open and willing to help, we don’t bite!

Tip #2: Get Involved! One of the greatest things about Niles North is that if offers many clubs and out-of-school activities. From WHO Club to the tennis teams, there are so many opportunities for you to get out there, meet new people, and do some cool stuff along the way. Speaking from personal experience, joining a sport was one of the best decisions I made as a freshman. The tryouts can be scary, but I’ve met some of my best friends because of it. Don’t like sports or don’t like tryouts? Clubs are an awesome alternative (I personally recommend North Star)!

Tip #3: Seek help if you need it! Struggling in a class? Set up an appointment in The Point or with your teacher! The Point and its tutors are great resources for all subjects from Chinese to Calculus. If you don’t think one of their many qualified tutors can help you, there are also teachers for all subjects available if you need them. The Point is open from 7:20am to 4:28pm on Mondays through Thursdays, and it’s open on Fridays from 7:20am to 3:28pm. Not interested in going to The Point? You can always ask your teacher when they’re free and set-up an appointment to meet them in their department office. It’s one of the best ways to get one-on-one help!

Tip #4: DO YOUR HOMEWORK! I know, everyone always tells you, “Do your homework!” But I’m telling you, it really pays off. I can’t stress it enough. I know it’s annoying, I know it’s a pain in the butt, and I know when you get home from school the last thing you want to do is hurry up and start doing more work, but it is necessary. It really helps you learn the material. Sooner or later, you’ll get to a class that doesn’t even count homework for a grade, and you’ll say, “What the heck? It doesn’t count, so why do it?” But, if you do your homework, you’re more likely to understand the topics quicker and do better on tests. Then maybe you can pin it up on your refrigerator at home!

Tip #5: Stay out of drama! It’s hard, but you have to do it. Staying out of drama will be an eye-opening experience. Focus on being a good friend. I know that sounds lame, but believe me, if you stay nice and friendly to people, they’ll end up telling you everything. You’ll know all the drama, but not be involved with it at all. When I say drama, I mean all drama. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or just even in person. Stay away! Trust me, staying out of drama as best as you can will cause you to have much less stressful high school experience, and you’ll stay friends with more people!

Freshman year is tough, we all know it. New school, new friends, new fears, it’s a crazy time. Take advantage of all the opportunities you have here at Niles North! There are so many things you can do with your free time and your skills. There are so many places you can go to for help. Niles North is really an amazing school and it’s only your first year! With the help of these tips you’ll be able to get through it and have an awesome time too!