Vikings hold off a late run by the Spartans and secure the win

The Vikings host their 2nd home game of the season with a record 5-2 (1-1 conference). Last week, they fell short to the Deerfield Warriors by just two points, that being their first conference loss in two years. The Glenbrook North Spartans come to Niles North with a 2-6 overall record (1-1 conference). Before the game, one of the popular topics was the return of senior Duante Stephens. Stephens is a transfer student from Notre Dame, and was the MVP of the Palatine Thanksgiving Tournament.

In an interview with center, Danilo Ranger, I asked how Stephens adapted to the team and the ways of head coach Glenn Olson.

“He blended in easy with the team right from jump street. He’s outgoing likable and easy to get along with. But that’s off the court. On the court he’s even better. He has a real knack for finding ways to score and since he draws so much defensive attention, it gets role players open. He’s just as good of a passer as he is a scorer,” Ranger said.

Stephens started the game 0/5, but was clearly anxious to score. The Glenbrook North Spartans began the game on a 7-4 run before Coach Olson called a timeout. JJ Myles started the game on a good note scoring 7 of the Vikings first 9 points. Some balanced scoring continued into the 2nd quarter, and midway through, the Vikings took the lead 16-14. JJ Myles hit a 3 on one end to bring the lead up to 19-16, and had a vicious block on the defensive end, eventually leading to a GBN turnover. Bad free throw shooting continued to be a problem for the Vikings, who started 0/4 from the stripe. Peter Tate stole the ball with under 4 seconds left in the half, and realizing time was about to expire, he pulled up for 3 and drained it. Going into the half, Niles North had a 22-16 lead. Myles led all scorers with 10 at half.

After a quick 2 by GBN to begin the second half, sophomore Crishawn Cook drilled a 3 to extend the lead. Shortly after, JJ Myles had a 3 of his own. 5 minutes in after a strong run by the Vikings, GBN called a time out. It had almost an immediate impact, as the Spartans began scoring, cutting the Viking lead down to 3. With about a minute to go in the 3rd quarter, the score was 30-27. With 30 seconds remaining in the 3rd quarter, GBN tied the game up.

For the first time since the early first quarter, the Spartans took the lead, but it didn’t last long as Danilo Ranger scored his first bucket of the game to give the lead back to North. Myles was feeling it, and again hit a 3 pointer off an offensive rebound by Tate. After forcing a turnover the next play, Tate hit a 3 of his own, putting the Vikings up 41-33, forcing GBN to take a time out. Cook had a filthy block on the defensive end, but the Spartans stayed collected and went on a 4-0 run, which prompted Coach Olson to take a time out. With about a minute to go in the game, the Spartans started the foul game– which targeted Niles North’s worst aspect. They spent a lot of time passing the ball around, eating up the clock. There was no scoring for about the last three minutes of the game.

The Vikings prevailed in the conference win with a low final score of 41-37. JJ Myles led all scorers with 17, including a stellar 4-6 three point shooting performance. Peter Tate added in 11 points, going a perfect 4-4 from the field. With this win, Niles North advances to a 6-2 overall record (2-1 conference). Though winter break is starting for most, the Varsity Boys focus will stay on basketball with the Wheeling Tournament coming up next week. Good luck Vikings!